accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ktur...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Transition from MockAccumulo to a full blown local instance
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:33:55 GMT
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:17 AM, Jesse Yates <jesse.k.yates@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maintaining a real instance and a mock instance ends up creating a lot of
> extra work for dev's by ensuring that there impls are kept synchronized.
>
> Instead, we should move to an actual hosted instance of Accumulo running on
> the local file system. This would mean less work in the long run to maintain
> a separate instance and better testing for users and new features.
>
> It will also mean we can create an instance of Accumulo running in local
> mode that users can spin up when trying out the system. Therefore once we
> have a local instance, we would want to update the documentation on run
> scripts to enable using the local instance.
>
> What does everyone think?
>
> -Jesse Yates

We have discussed some aspects of this.  There are two nice things
about the way mock works now.  First, its very fast to create a mock
instance which means that unit test run very quickly.  Second, its all
in process which is useful for debugging.

You mentioned one of the drawbacks, more work to maintain it.  Another
drawback is that it may behave differently in some circumstances,
since its another implementation.

We have discussed possibly making mock leverage more of the actual
accumulo code, but possibly keep it in process for speed and
debugging.  We know it needs improvement, and are open to suggestions.
 We need to work out a plan/design for how we want to move forward.

Keith