abdera-user mailing list archives

From Bryon Jacob <br...@jacobtx.net>
Subject Re: Non-standard elements in Atom
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:04:58 GMT
Johnny -

What you want to do is supported, but you will need to put the
elements into a different namespace (since there is no <summary>
element on a <feed> element in the http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom
namespace)

Your XML will look something like:

<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns:tolliver="http://johnny.tollivers.namespace.url

">
    <title type="text">title goes here...</title>
    <tolliver:summary>Here's your Summary Element</tolliver:summary>
    <entry>
       ... you get the drift from here ...
    </entry>
</feed>

The Abdera API supports this nicely - you would do something like the
above as follows:

    Feed feed = getMyFeedObjectSomehow();
    QName summaryQName = new QName("http://johnny.tollivers.namespace.url
", "summary", "tolliver");
    feed.addSimpleExtension(summaryQName, "Here's your Summary
Element");

if you needed a richer structure to an extension, Abdera supports
that, too - but it's a bit more coding.

  - Bryon