abdera-user mailing list archives

From "Madhu Kaushik" <madhu.s.kaus...@gmail.com>
Subject Content-Type header is not explicit
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:48:19 GMT
Hi,

I am using Abdera 0.4.0 libraries. When using the Abdera libraries to
generate an Atom feed document, the value of the Content-Type header set by
Abdera in the HTTP response is "application/atom+xml".  This is vague and
requires the Atom client inspect the content of the returned document to
determine its type.

Section 12.1., "The "type" parameter" of the Atom Publishing Protocol spec
allows a type parameter to be appended to the Content-Type value, e.g.,
"application/atom+xml; type=feed". Although according to the spec the
Producers of Atom Feed Documents MAY use the type parameter, I believe that
this is the value that Abdera should be setting in the Content-Type header
when it knows that the document being returned is a feed.

This would also be more consistent with the behaviour when returning an Atom
entry document, where Abdera sets the Content-Type header to a value of
"application/atom+xml; type=entry", which as per the spec SHOULD be set by
the Producer of a Atom Entry Document.

It should also be noted that no charset value is appended to the end of the
Content-Type header either.  Since we seem to know that the charset being
used is utf-8, should'nt  we be appending this as well.

Regards,
Madhu S Kaushik