abdera-user mailing list archives

From pdk <pdks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Entry Replace Link
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:53:24 GMT
I don't want to allow the client to modify the self or edit link.  To
protect the integrity of the entry, I want the server to set the
fields that its responsible for to ensure the data is valid.  This
would cover fields like: edited, modified, created, id, and some of
the links.  I wanted the server to set the links that it is
responsible for to ensure they are valid and that some nefarious
client didn't mess with the links.

So, my original plan was to check for the presence of the 'self' and
'edit' links in the entry that was PUT to the server.  If those links
existed, I wanted to remove them and then add a new server generated
link.  I would leave 'alternate' links intact because the client
should be able to provide alternate forms that the server knows
nothing about.

I wanted to have the server modify the instance of Entry that was
received in the putEntry method, and then return that entry back to
the client.  I was hoping to avoid creating a new instance of Entry
and copying all the fields from one instance to the other.  This
seemed to point to a shortcoming of the API which could be solved by
having a ''removeLink" method similar to the 'addLink' convenience
method.

I know this problem can be solved by iterating through the list of
Links and modifying the href based on the rel value.  I attempted to
get the list using 'getLinks" and remove the link from the returned
list, but that produced an error.

I suggest adding a 'removeLink' convenience method.