abdera-user mailing list archives

From "Bruno Luiz Pereira da Silva" <blpsi...@gmail.com>
Subject Enterprise messaging with Atom Feeds
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:37:39 GMT
Hi, I'd like to ask you guys about something I'm considering to use in a
project.

We are developing several asynchronous processes here, and we will populate
a queue with items to be processed. This queue will be consumed by lots
(let's say 100-200) of simultaneous threads to process the items. Upon
completion, the processor will publish to another queue, of successfully
processed items.

I'm considering the use of Atom feeds for both queues. An item to be
processed would be published as an entry of the "To be processed" feed. And
after being successfully processed, the item would be published as an item
of the "Successfully processed" feed.

In order to avoid 2 different batch instances processing the same item from
the "To be processed" feed, I thought of using ETag to manage this. A batch
instance trying to get an item to process would try to update a given
element of the entry, informing the ETag of the item. If the batch instance
is able to update the element, it'll then process the item and then publish
this entry to the "Successfully processed" feed, if everything goes well
with the processing.

I'd like to know if you guys think Atom feeds are adequate to do this, or if
this is just not a good idea. I don't know if Atom feeds can handle well
several threads trying to update something at the same time.

I'll appreciate your thoughts and comments.

--
Atenciosamente,

Bruno Luiz Pereira da Silva
blpsilva@gmail.com