abdera-user mailing list archives

From Cassie <d...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shindig RESTful API server implementation
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:46:08 GMT
java/social/... contains servlets and related code for serving social data.
This is currently consumed by shindig's implementation of the opensocial-0.7
feature.

For more information about how opensocial and gadgets work together (ie
opensocial is a feature of gadgets) it is probably best to refer to the
opensocial site [1]

As for how shindig works, the social data is simply being fetched  from one
servlet: SocialDataServlet
This servlet is currently being served off of the same server in the default
config of shindig (localhost:8080/gadgets/socialdata) but of course can be
separated out into another server simply because it's just a servlet...

For the restful code, because it is specific to the social features of
gadgets, it should probably live within the social directory. (this is what
Kevin was talking about). You will probably just want to add a servlet of
your own into java/social/http called something ingenious like
RestfulApiServlet :)

The abdera specific code may want to live in its own folder, but I'm sure we
can figure it out as we see how the code progresses.

Also, the java/social directory has a lot of code that I hope can be shared
between the servlet implementations. Things like the Person object, the
IdSpec enum, some interfaces for fetching data from a file based backend
(implementation of those not finished) etc.

I hope this answers your questions. I think creating the initial servlet in
that java/social/http directory with some basic infrastructure is probably a
good first patch.

- Cassie

[1] http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/