abdera-user mailing list archives

From "Remy Gendron" <remy.gend...@arrova.ca>
Subject RE: RFC-5005 best practices
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:57:05 GMT
My APP server isn't used in the context of a standard feed provider. It will
be more of a web interface to a backend data server. We are leveraging
Atom/APP/REST as a generic data provider interface for our web services.

That's why your suggestion, although pretty good for feeds, is not
applicable here. I really want to chunk large datasets/search results.

I am also willing to live with some infrequent inconsistencies while
scanning the pages following concurrent create/delete ops.

My question was really about naming conventions when providing the page size
and page index as URL parameters.

Thanks again,

- Remy

-----Original Message-----
From: James M Snell [mailto:jasnell@gmail.com]
Sent: 14 December 2007 13:57
To: abdera-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: RFC-5005 best practices

I've implemented paging a number of times.  The easiest approach has
always been to use page and pagesize.  Doing so, however, has it's
disadvantages.  For one, the pages are unstable -- that is, as new
entries are added to the collection, the entries slide through the pages
making it difficult for a client to completely and consistently sync up
the changes.  An alternative approach would be to based paging on date
ranges, each each page could represent all entries modified within a
given period of time.  Such pages will generally be much less volatile
over time.

- James

Remy Gendron wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I’m implementing paging in my Abdera server. FeedPagingHelper covers the
> spec…
>

> But do you recommend any best practices on passing in the parameters?
> (pageSize, pageIndex)
>

> I haven’t seen any recommendations from Abdera… Do you recommend
> Google’s GData query extensions?
>

> Thanks a lot for the great implementation!
>

> Rémy
>

>  remy.gendron@arrova.ca <mailto:remy.gendron@arrova.ca>
>
>  418 809-8585
>
>  http://www.arrova.ca <http://www.arrova.ca/>