abdera-user mailing list archives

From Kiran Subbaraman <ki...@yahoo.com>
Subject Error parsing certain feeds - troubleshooting steps?
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:41:29 GMT

I noticed that some of the feeds are not parsed by Abdera, and also noticed
some discussion on the list related to Feed validation. Based on this, these
are the steps I follow to help determine if issues related to parsing a feed
is an Abdera one, or just the malformed feed.

These are the feeds that I tried:
- http://www.feedsfarm.com/frontpage/health/atom - Does not parse
- http://www.feedsfarm.com/frontpage/health/rss - Parses
- http://feeds.feedburner.com/techtarget/tsscom/home - Does not parse
- http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/feed/1?format=rss1 - Parses
and a few more.

Are these steps sufficient? Or do I need to perform any other checks, that
could help?
Thanks,
Kiran

Step 1
-------
Use FeedValidator, to check the validity of a feed. FeedValidator is
available here: http://feedvalidator.org
* Valid ATOM feeds are processed by Abdera.
* RSS processing is still being introduced into Abdera, therefore some valid
RSS feeds may still not be processed by Abdera

Step 2
-------
In addition, also use curl to check if the feeds are being served correctly.
curl can be obtained from: http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
Try this: curl -X GET http://news.google.com/?output=atom. In this
particular example, Google will return a 403. Therefore the program needs to
first establish a valid connection with Google, and then proceed with
getting the feed content.

Step 3
-------
Have also created a sample Java program to determine if a feed can be
processed.

import java.io.InputStream;
import java.net.URL;

import org.apache.abdera.Abdera;
import org.apache.abdera.model.Document;
import org.apache.abdera.model.Feed;
import org.apache.abdera.parser.Parser;

public class TestFeed {

		Parser parser = Abdera.getNewParser();
		InputStream input;
		try {
			input = new URL(args[0]).openStream();
			Document doc = (Document) parser.parse(input);
			Feed feed = (Feed) doc.getRoot();
			System.out.println("Feed can be parsed");
			System.out.println("Begin feed content -----");
			feed.writeTo(System.out);
			System.out.println("-------End feed content");
		} catch (Exception e) {