abdera-user mailing list archives

From Jan Algermissen <algermissen1...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Modeling Collections of Collections
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:40:59 GMT

On 24.09.2007, at 21:30, James M Snell wrote:

> Well, the idea is that there is a one-to-one mapping from an entry
> to a
> collection.  So for each collection you have, you'll have one
> entry.  I
> don't have any suggestions for doing anything else :-)

I think that a subcollection is fundamentally different from an entry
in a collection and that only the ubiquity of file systems makes us
think the two concepts somehow share a common base. IMHO, the
existence of a subcollection allways represents an act of
categorization and segmentation of the parent collection which is
lost if we simply represent subcollections as entries.

I have not yet had any time whatsoever to flesh this out, but I
suggest an extension element of <feed>, such as <subcollections> and
inside that, a normal feed with entries can be used to represent the
sub collections. This would preserve the semantic, that the parent
collection is segmented.

Sorry that this is so vague, but maybe it helps somehow.

Jan