abdera-user mailing list archives

From Davis_Corne...@emc.com
Subject Feed validation "missing" from Abdera?
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:52:22 GMT
Hello all.

My question in short is twofold: First, am I correct in concluding that
feed validation is not one of the features of Abdera?  And second, why
isn't it?

I've been digging through the archives, both for the Atompub and the
Abdera mailing lists.  Interesting discussions (way back in 2003) about
whether the Atom spec would include features that would _really_ require
feeds to be valid, I understand what the debate was about and that such
a feature was not included in the spec.  A very recent couple of posts
(today) on the subject points out that validation was intentionally
excluded for performance reasons.  I also know about and have used
feedvalidator.org.

If a performance question, why not have a separate operation for
validation that does not impact the performance of parsing and feed
generation interfaces?  Was the decision to not include feed validation
in Abdera one of "folks won't really use it anyway?" Or is it that
validation is a design time consideration that is adequately addressed
by feedvalidator?  Or something else?

Thanks,

Cornelia

Cornelia Davis