abdera-user mailing list archives

From Adam Constabaris <a...@clownsinmycoffee.net>
Subject Advice on implementing an APP server
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:26:17 GMT
I'm working my way through the server example, and I figured while I'm
working out how to do it, I might as well try to write some
documentation.  I'm fairly new to this part of the framework, so I'm
looking to clear some stuff up:

1. Configuration precedence order:
 - hard coded defaults
 - META-INF/services
 - abdera.properties
 - system properties
- (for Abdera Servlet) servlet config parameters

2. As with parsers etc, default (non-abstract) implementations are
provided for all the factories and workhorse classes used in the server
framework one needs /except/ ProviderManager and Provider; a minimalist
working setup requires creating PM and P implementations, plus
specifying a TargetResolver.

While I'm on (2) (and this is nearer to my immediate concerns, but seems
like a ripe subject for documentation): suppose my APP server is part of
an existing application that uses Spring with JPA/Hibernate/JDO/iBatis
for data access (or just that I really like Spring IoC and I want to use
it behind my new APP server).  I've got this juicy set of services just
sitting there, already initialized, and now I need to instantiate a
ProviderManager and give it access to those things.  I can't use Spring
to inject those services into the ProviderManager instance, because as
long as I'm using the stock AbderaServlet, creation of the protocol's
factory objects is controlled by the Abdera framework.  Since there
doesn't seem to be a way to access the servlet context (where a
reference to the Spring context can be held) through the framework
classes, it looks like the cleanest approach is to subclass
AbderaServlet, which can inject the Spring-managed dependencies into the
Abdera factory classes.  Mutatis mutandis if I'm working with
EJB3/Servlets 2.5 and I want to inject container-managed JPA
EntityManagers into my Abdera-based classes.

Is the gist of the above paragraph generally supportable, or am I
missing some cleaner way(s) of doing Spring/EJB3-backed data integration?

thanks,

AC