abdera-user mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Creating "Arbitrary" XML Content
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:49:33 GMT
On 12/12/06, Adam Constabaris <adam@clownsinmycoffee.net> wrote:
> I'd like to write clients that generate entries with DocBook content.
> Following the examples and the API documentation, the most
> straightforward-looking approach to this end seems to be something like
> this:
>
> String contentString = // let's imagine a string fulla XML
> Entry e = factory.newEntry();
> // set a bunch of other properties
> e.setContent( contentString, Content.Type.XML );
>
> I've tried this, and several variations on it (setting a MimeType
> directly, etc.), and the content's always null, or, if I get a Writer
> and serialize the entry, I get an empty content element.  These results
> were the same with the pre-0.2.0 trunk, the post 0.2.0 trunk, and the
> 0.2.0 branch.
>
> So, I ask:
>
> 1) is this supported yet?
> 2) where would I start scratching this itch if the answer to (1) is no?

It certainly seems like it should work.  The best way to get started
on fixing it is probably a failing test case for the test suite.  Then
start tracing through the code to see why it isn't working ;-)

> On a related note (leaving aside the application/xml question) is there
> (yet) some mechanism for generating Content objects from files other
> than by reading the file's contents into a string and calling
> setContentAsXhtml() (e.g.)?  If I wanted to add support for taking an
> AXIOM (or other XML object model), or an InputStream and set the content
> directly from that, where would I start with that?

I'm not sure how I feel about exposing Axiom APIs, but an InputStream
or something like that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

-garrett