abdera-user mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Extension Development
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:55:07 GMT
On 9/1/06, Rob Evans <objectiveous@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a large'ish information model that I'd like to expose via a feed. I
> started looking at the OpenSearch extension to learn how to structure an
> extension and I have a simple extension and factory working. My information
> model has already been described in xml schema and I'm wondering if there is
> a way to use leverage that schema. For example, could I use apache ADB to
> generate the classes? It looks like my generated classes would need to
> implement org.apache.abdera.model.Element in order for them to be added as
> Extensions.
>
> Is there a simpler approach?

It's actually worse than that.  Not only do your classes have to
implement Element, but these days they also have to be intimately
familiar with the parser implementation.  If you look at the
implementations of the OpenSearch classes, you'll see that they
reference FOM classes.

I'd really like to make that go away.  It would be awfully nice if the
extensions didn't have to know anything at all about the parser,
perhaps the parser would just hand off an Element object to the
extension factory, and it would be responsible for converting that
element into the particular type of element it cares to generate.

Anyway, that's the state of the union at this point.  No there's no
"easy" way to automatically generate extensions, and when you do
generate them they need to have a lot of knowledge about the parser
they work with, although that may change in the future.

-garrett