abdera-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing the 1.0 release artifacts
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:39:12 GMT
I think it needs to be clear what state Abdera is in. There have been
no releases since leaving the Incubator a year ago, there have been no
commits for 6 months, committers have said they no longer have time
for the project, most questions or patches on the dev list go ignored.
The trunk code is broken from various changes at the start of the year
including some non trivial refactoring and with the old committers not
around to answer questions its difficult to work out fixes.

At this stage Abdera could be retired to the Apache Attic, or try to
get some new committers to get some life back in it. It does seem like
there is a community willing to contribute and there is a sizable user
base so it would be a shame to retire it. But right now its very
difficult for anyone to help as trunk is broken and patches aren't
getting applied.

The 1.0 vote happened way back in January and passed with 4 binding +1
votes and a non binding -1, and it seems reasonably clear from the
thread and other later emails that the PMC considered the vote a pass
and the artifacts could be published. I've checked the licensing,
there are some inconsistencies but i don't see anything I'd consider a
blocker and I'd don't see any problem with following through on the
result of the vote and finally publishing the artifacts, especially
given the current state of the project. That would give at least a
point to try to go forward with and we could start bringing up trunk
again, applying some patches, getting some new comitters, and then
maybe it would be possible to get the latest code out in another
release.

   ...ant