abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Abdera status and future
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 20:32:59 GMT
Ok, so I've got a fix for the ant build pending commit... for some
reason the svn.apache.org server is not responding right now so I will
commit that as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I'd like to discuss Abdera plans moving forward.

I know the 1.0 release was voted on but was never actually cut. I'm
going to try to get that pushed out in the next week or two.

Moving foward, there are a number of changes and refactorings I'd like
to look at:

1. Axiom does a good job of handling the XML infoset stuff Abdera needs
but it brings along with it a number of dependencies and extra stuff
that we just don't need (like all the SOAP stuff). In an ideal world,
Abdera would be entirely self-contained.  I would like to start
investigating what it would take to remove the Axiom dependency from
Abdera altogether. This would mean duplicating a large part of the Axiom
functionality, but we'd be able to do so in a way that was highly
optimized for Abdera's purposes.  This would mean a pretty much complete
rewrite of the FOM* implementation classes but should not lead to any
significant API changes. It would give us significantly greater control
over the parsing process, would allow us to make certain dependencies
(like Jaxen) optional, and would reduce our overall install footprint.
Initially, the new implementation could sit along side the Axiom based
implementation through it's development, and would eventually replace
the Axiom implementation as the default.  I know there are some folks
here that are fans of Axiom (hello Dims! :-)...) and I don't want to
upset them, but I think there are a number of important benefits to
replacing Axiom that cannot be overlooked. Thoughts welcome.

2. The Abdera i18n code (IRI, unicode, uri templates, etc) should be
moved to its own subproject under the Abdera Top Level Project. It is
extremely useful independent of the rest of Abdera and should be
developed and promoted independently.

3. I'm going to be working to integrating the more fully featured RSS
capabilities contributed by a fellow IBMer. I'm not really all that
happy with the way it was implemented in the offered patch so I'm going
to go back through it. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to
dig into the patch before, but now that I have time to devote to Abdera
again, I will go through it in more detail.

4. Simplification! I wish to continue working to simplify the Abdera
implementation and APIs and to refine the implementation, configuration,
etc. In some cases, this may mean API changes, some of which may not be
backwards compatible but will continue the trend towards a better,
easier to use, more functional Atom implementation.

Whatcha think...

- James