abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Graduation
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:54:34 GMT
On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Chris Berry <chriswberry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Only one question. Has anyone run Abdera 0.4.X through a serious
> load/stability test?
> I ask this because we are still on 0.3.0 which had some very large memory
> leaks that we've patched (and sent info about to Abdera).
> And we have not yet upgraded to 0.4.X because we were waiting for it to
> stabilize and most bugs to get expunged.
> But mostly because upgrading will not be trivial as the API changed a great
> deal between 0.3 and 0.4.
> Given this history, it might be prudent that Abdera get that sort of test
> prior to 1.0 ?
> We would do it, but as I said, are still at 0.3.0. (And one should use a
> relatively real world app to load test with)
>
> All that said, we are very eager to see the graduation, which should
> indicate that the API is relatively fixed.

Let me reiterate:  Graduation has NOTHING to do with technical
readiness for any given release.  It is simply moving the project from
the incubator to its own top level ASF project.  There is no
indication that any API is finalized when we graduate, there is no
need to do a special release, etc.

That isn't to say that all of the things you're mentioning shouldn't
be done, of course they should be.  It's just to say that graduation
is about the state of the project's community, and is largely
orthogonal to the state of the actual code.

-garrett