abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Serializable and Cloneable
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:22:13 GMT
I've noticed throughout the codebase that there are a lot of classes that
are Serializable and Cloneable. These are two of the hardest bits of Java
development to get right and the easiest to make mistakes. What's the
impetus behind making so many classes Serializable and Cloneable?

I've run into a number of classes that don't correctly or completely
implement one or the other interfaces/concepts, but there are so many and I
started to wonder why. I've dug about in the code to some extent, but I've
only seen a few uses of cloning and no serialization.

Thanks,
-Nathan