abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: General Question about IDs
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 15:38:40 GMT

M Harris wrote:
> I just answered my own question.  The Ids can't be changed by the user (right?) and I
think it would be best to do a GET first and then make sure the entry Ids match before pursuing.

Right.

- James

> M Harris <mdangel78@yahoo.com> wrote: This is not necessarily about Abdera, but
about the Atom Publishing Protocol in general regarding entry Ids.  I know there are some
people on the mailing list who have developed their sites using Abdera and Atom.  Are you
storing the Entry Ids in a database or other structure?  I was wondering how exactly to handle
editing a resource.

> I guess I am wondering how to ensure that the link during an edit of a resource is infact
that Entry itself the client is trying to edit.

> Taken from an article online just for reference:
>

> PUT /blog/entries/1 HTTP/1.1
> Host: example.org
> If-Match: "/blog/entries/1?1"
> If-Unmodified-Since: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:40:03 GMT
>

>   tag:example.org,2006:/blog/entries/1
> Atom-Powered Robots Run Crazy
>

>   2006-08-12T13:40:03Z
>   John
>   Some different text.
>

> How should it know that
>
> /blog/entries/1
>  and the entry
>

> tag:example.org,2006:/blog/entries/1
>
> Mean the same? In this case the Id happens to be the URL of the entry but from what I
have read the id does not have to be any part of the URL.  If someone were to do a PUT to
the same URL but with this ID (2007 instead of 2008)