abdera-dev mailing list archives

From ugo cei <u....@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: Using Abdera in a Confluence plugin
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 10:43:22 GMT

----- James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Java classloader hell" is redundant to the extreme :-(

Found myself a way out of the pit of hell by manually copying Abdera and dependent JARs into
the application's WEB-INF/lib directory (updating stuff like commons-logging to more recent
versions in the process).

This means I cannot use Confluence's plugin manager to deploy my plugin, but at least it works.

This experience taught me that maybe we have just too many components trying to do smart things
with class-loading, starting with Abdera's ServiceUtils, Axiom, and Commons Logging. When
you try to make all of them work inside a framework that tries to do its own "smart" things
with class-loading in order to manage plugins, hells breaks loose. Something to ponder, I
think.

  Ugo

--
Ugo Cei