abdera-dev mailing list archives

From M Harris <mdange...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: General Question about IDs
Date Sat, 03 May 2008 01:55:59 GMT
I just answered my own question.  The Ids can't be changed by the user (right?) and I think
it would be best to do a GET first and then make sure the entry Ids match before pursuing.

M Harris <mdangel78@yahoo.com> wrote: This is not necessarily about Abdera, but about
the Atom Publishing Protocol in general regarding entry Ids.  I know there are some people
on the mailing list who have developed their sites using Abdera and Atom.  Are you storing
the Entry Ids in a database or other structure?  I was wondering how exactly to handle editing
a resource.

I guess I am wondering how to ensure that the link during an edit of a resource is infact
that Entry itself the client is trying to edit.

Taken from an article online just for reference:

PUT /blog/entries/1 HTTP/1.1
Host: example.org
If-Match: "/blog/entries/1?1"
If-Unmodified-Since: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:40:03 GMT

  tag:example.org,2006:/blog/entries/1
Atom-Powered Robots Run Crazy

  2006-08-12T13:40:03Z
  John
  Some different text.

How should it know that

/blog/entries/1
 and the entry

tag:example.org,2006:/blog/entries/1

Mean the same? In this case the Id happens to be the URL of the entry but from what I have
read the id does not have to be any part of the URL.  If someone were to do a PUT to the same
URL but with this ID (2007 instead of 2008)

tag:example.org,2007:/blog/entries/1
 Does it overwrite the id?