abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Vasu Nori" <vn...@google.com>
Subject Fwd: proposal for an implementation of OpenSocial RESTful API
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:38:29 GMT
please participate on shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org mailing list, if this
interests you.

The OpenSocial RESTful API spec is at
http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec/browse_thread/thread/f5a0cf3707709ffa#

thanks
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jun Yang (杨骏) <jyang@google.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:56 AM
Subject: proposal for an implementation of OpenSocial RESTful API
To: shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: opensocial-and-gadgets-spec@googlegroups.com

Hi all.

We would like to propose an implementation for "A
modest<http://tr_1207767015170>
 proposal for an OpenSocial <http://tr_1207767015170> RESTful
API<http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-and-gadgets-spec/browse_thread/thread/f5a0cf3707709ffa>
".
We propose the following:

   - Use Apache Abdera as the basis of the reference server
   implementation
   - Add a JsonCParser to support input in JSON-c format (JSON-c for
   compact JSON format as specified in the API spec, not a new MIME type)
   - Add a JsonCWriter to support output in JSON-c format
   - Add an OpenSocial API (Person, Activity and AppData, Java version
   under org.apache.shindig.social.opensocial) adapter to integrate with
   existing API implementation and keep the same interface on the backend and
   the client

for the following reasons:

   - The RESTful API proposal supports a clean and natural JSON format
   (JSON-c) as well as AtomPub.  Apache Abdera is an open source reference
   implementation of AtomPub that offers most of the functionality we need.
    Reusing it seems to be natural choice
   - Abdera already supports input in Atom.  We need to add support for
   input in JSON-c
   - Abdera already supports output in Atom (as well as a JSON format).
    We need to add support for output in JSON-c
   - Abdera's support for adapters that translate from a foreign data
   format and protocol into its Feed Object Model (FOM) comes handy to support
   existing data sources such as relational databases and existing
   implementation of OpenSocial APIs.  Existing OpenSocial APIs are very close
   to Atom's model and can be adapted easily

We have includes two diagrams as illustration of the architecture of the
proposed implementation.  Diagram 1 shows the generic architecture.  Those
components in italics are to be written.  Diagram 2 shows the use of two
adapters, iBATIS (existing in Abdera) to integrate with relational
databases, and OpenSocial API adapter (to be written), to integrate with
existing OpenSocial backend.

Please review and comment.  Thanks!

Vasu Nori and Jun Yang