abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: hibernate dependencies problem
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:24:19 GMT
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 4:41 AM, David Calavera
<david.calavera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've almost finished my hibernate adapter implementation but I've found a
>  problem with the hibernate dependencies. The JTA library has a sun binary
>  license and it's only available in their web. So, it's mandatory to accept
>  the license and I can't download the jar with ant or maven directly. Due
>  this issue my tests don't work automatically.

FWIW, Hibernate in general has a host of issues at the ASF due to its
LGPL license, and that's even before you run into the problem you're
hitting here.  At the very least we can't ship any LGPL jars with our
releases, and any code that depends on Hibernate has to be totally
optional.  This kind of thing is one of those issues that comes up
every so often, and there's currently an ongoing debate about how to
handle it on the legal and board mailing lists.

So anyway, whatever you end up doing you need to be sure to run it by
the legal-discuss mailing list, to make sure it's acceptable.

-garrett