abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Vasu Nori" <vn...@google.com>
Subject Re: Announcing Google FeedServer
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:05:14 GMT

> The Adapter mechanism looks particularly good but I would like to see if
> we could get some closer alignment between this and the work that Dan
> Diephouse has been doing,

Yes, we haven't done that yet. Hope to touch base with Dan after he gets a
chance a to review the code.

> and the new StreamWriter, StreamBuilder and
> (poorly-named) EntityProvider mechanisms.  For performance reasons, it
> would really be ideal if Adapter implementations could use the
> StreamWriter interface for serializing feeds and entries.

totally agree. Streaming is fantastic and we will have to implement it.

I do notice that the FeedServerProvider is currently rather limited in
> function (e.g. no service document, no media post support, no feed
> paging).  I assume these functions will be added over time?

agreed.

Regarding service document, I'd like to add a point though.
The way Google feedserver is architected allows new feeds to be added at
runtime (by simply adding a new adapter, adapter properties file & sending a
new feed URI to the feedserver). Initially, when the system comes up, there
are no known feeds to the server; i.e., service document = empty.
As each new feed URI comes in, the corresponding adapter is instantiated.
so, the service document gets built up overtime.

If at any point in time, a request for service document is received, google
feedserver can return the service document known UNTIL that point in time.
This is yet to be implemented though.

> Oh, and are you aware that Abdera already has a MethodOverrideFilter? :-)

aha. didn't know that.. :)

thanks for the comments/suggestions.

--
Vasu Nori