abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject Re: Server module refactoring
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:33:00 GMT
I've commented on a couple things which I have other thoughts on, but
overall it looks good.

James M Snell wrote:

> The default provider implementation will extend
> AbstractWorkspaceManagerProvider.java.  This class implements boththe
> Provider and WorkspaceManager interfaces.
I would also like to float the idea that the Provider should take a
WorkspaceManager as a property/constructor. This way I as a user just
implement WorkspaceManager which can look up collections from my
database and pass it in as an argument to some stock Provider.

> The WorkspaceManager is equivalent to the current WorkspaceInfo
> interface.  It's primary function is to lookup the appropriate
> CollectionAdapter instance.
We still need a way to describe the workspaces though. A la
WorkspaceInfo.getName/getCollectionProviders. Are you sure we don't need
WorkspaceInfo still?

> A CollectionAdapter instance can choose to implement the Provider
> interface in order to support extension methods.
I'm not sure that provider is the right interface to do this as it mixes
semantics a little bit. My alternative proposals would be to either:
1. have a fallback method built into CA like doOther(RequestContext) or
something like that.
2. Make the Provider responsible for choosing a method via some sort of
extensible dispatching mechanism

> A CollectionAdapter instance can choose to implement the Transactional
> interface if it wishes to support begin/end/compensate semantics.
I think this might be going a little bit overboard here in terms of
interfaces. I would rather lean toward building this into the
AbstractCollectionAdapter itself. A la the code snippet I published
earlier which called begin/end inside.

BTW, I also think we'll need to have begin/end points which we can
intercept in the actual Provider implementation itself.

Overall, I like the simplified flow and increased coherency!

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
MuleSource