abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: meeting to discuss integrating FeedServer?
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:48:32 GMT
My initial thoughts on this are simple: the converter mechanism that I
began in fall but haven't been able to complete should likely be dropped
in favor of an approach based on the StreamWriter/StreamBuilder
mechanism.  The Adapter and CollectionProvider mechanisms should be
merged.  We should use the Adapter interface name for the merged result.

The CollectionProvider accepts a RequestContext in order to allow
requests to be parameterized.  This is a good thing and needs to be
preserved.

The CollectionProvider also provides methods for transactional
semantics.  These could be pushed to a subclass, e.g.
TransactionalAdapter, in order to simplify things a bit.

We need to figure out how to make it easier to extend the functionality
of this stuff.  The Provider interface is set up to make it possible to
use extension HTTP methods (e.g. MOVE, PATCH, etc) but this is not
passed on to either CollectionProvider or Adapter.  There needs to be an
elegant extension mechanism.

The fact that CollectionProvider returns ResponseContext objects makes
it possible for us to use StreamWriter to write out the responses.  The
Adapter interface is currently only capable of returning FOM objects.
While this certainly does simplify things, it limits the flexibility and
performance.

The Adapter interface should become part of the server project.
Specific Adapter implementations can also be added to server or they
could go into their own module.  It would be extremely valuable to have
a number of stock Adapter implementations available.

- James