abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject Re: More flexible servicesPath for ServiceProvider
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:03:48 GMT
Jim Ancona wrote:
> As I mentioned in the issue I just created
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ABDERA-85), I have a use case
> where the base URI of my service is parameterized (e.g.
> http://example.com/users/{userId}/service/). I want to use a
> ServiceProvider at the user level, i.e. I would like the servicesPath
> to match http://example.com/users/{userId}/. The current
> implementation in AbstractServiceProvider uses a plain string match,
> so there's no way to parameterize it.
>
> I have created a class extending AbstractServiceProvider which matches
> using a regex. It also stores the match value(s) as request
> parameter(s), making them easily accessible to my CollectionProvider.
> While my class meets my needs, I think the use case is common enough
> that you might want to incorporate something similar into Abdera. I
> had to override AbstractServiceProvider.resolve() in my class, which
> lead to quite a bit of duplicated code. It might be better to:
>
> 1. Refactor AbstractServiceProvider to abstract the string matching
> into separate methods, so that classes that want to use a different
> matching method can easily do so.
>
> 2. Make the default implementation use a regex rather than a simple
> string match.
>
> You could do either of those, or both (or neither :-)). I'm willing to
> provide a patch for whichever option(s) are preferred.
>
> Thanks for considering this.

Great idea. I too have had to extend ServiceProvider this week and found
it highly annoying. But I haven't had a chance to look at how to improve
it.

#2 sounds interesting as it would not require any code. A patch would be
most welcome.  I suppose it could even be combined with #1 while we're
at it in case people want to override the regex.

Other than that - is the service provider code working for you OK? Did
it make sense pretty easily?

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse