abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Berry <chriswbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance improvements: MimeType
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:23:28 GMT
FWIW, we did a lot of profiling recently of Abdera (0.3.0) w/ Yourkit.
And the low hanging fruit appeared to be allowing for streaming the
content (in our case just an XML doc) to/from the browser.
I did start to look into implementing this for Abdera, but other work
issues have intervened...
Cheers,
-- Chris

On Nov 7, 2007, at 11:11 AM, James M Snell wrote:

> In continued testing, the JAF impl outperforms my version in long run
> tests (average runtime of 100000 repeated operations).  I'm going to
> leave things as they are for now and focus on other areas, but I'm
> going
> to return to this and see what else I can optimize.
>
> - James
>
> Dan Diephouse wrote:
>> Argh, I'm not having very good luck today as I think I misquoted you.
>> You said "Currently, when first used, that class takes anywhere
>> between
>> 90-300 ms to init." Why does the first init even matter? It should be
>> the init after the JVM has warmed up that we care about.
>>
>> It might be worth getting an open source YourKit license and doing
>> some
>> profiling of the server under load with that.
>>
>> - Dan
>>
>> Dan Diephouse wrote:
>>> Rereading my message, I think I might of said one thing but meant
>>> another. What I really meant was, MimeType isn't one of those
>>> classes
>>> that is used across java projects. So using the JAF MimeType doesn't
>>> really buy us much and I don't see any issue with replacing it.
>>>
>>> BTW, 20-30 ms seems like an awfully long time... Are you running
>>> -server -XX:ParallelGC, letting the server warm up, etc?
>>>
>>> - Dan

S'all good  ---   chriswberry at gmail dot com