abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance improvements: MimeType
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 05:23:02 GMT
Currently, we are using the Java Activation Framework MimeType class.
Currently, when first used, that class takes anywhere between 90-300 ms
to init.  I have an alternative implementation that implements pretty
much the same set of operations that takes between 10-20 ms to init.
After the JAF version is init'd, operations on the JAF MimeType take
around 1ms. Operations on my new MimeType take 2ms.  So we save a lot in
 the init, and lose 1ms afterwards.

There are a few additional differences: my MimeType is more forgiving
and allows characters that are not strictly allowed in MimeType's...
this generally should not be a problem.  The match algorithm implemented
by mine seems to be faster.

The MimeType class is not used extensively, but it's init time does have
an overall impact on performance.  It's not a big difference but every
little bit counts.

Any objections to switching?

- James