abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving the IRI implementation
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:38:16 GMT
I am going through and working to improve the performance of the IRI
implementation... which at this point is by far the most inefficient
part of our code.  When I first implemented it, I added a number of
features that were intended purely to provide for a complete IRI
implementation (e.g. conversion from URI-to-IRI, scheme-specific
equivalence checking, normalization, etc).  None of these features are
actually used by any part of Abdera right now.  However, some of the
work necessary to support them is partially to blame for the performance
hit.  I would like to remove these features.

If it turns out that people actually are using those things, we can add
them back in using a separate utility class. Doing so will increase the
overhead a bit for those specific features but will mean the majority of
cases won't have to pay a performance tax for stuff that will likely
never be used.

- James