abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new json serialization docs
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:01:45 GMT
The primary reasons for the change are:

 * to remove the dependency on json.jar,
 * to use a streaming serialization method
 * to capture additional detail Atompub and other extensions
 * to make serialization of any Abdera model object possible
   (e.g. service docs, categories docs, individual model objects
   like Person, Link, etc)

At this point, the specific details of the new serialization are
completely up for debate.  The goal is to come up with a serialization
that can work easily for as many use cases as possible while capturing
as much detail as we sanely can while making the end result easily
understandable and usable.  While it may not look pretty, I think the
new serialization mostly achieves that.

I've spoken to Elias about it.  He can weigh in for himself, of course,
but he's not happy.  He's not happy with the serialization and he's not
happy with the fact that I rewrote his original serialization code, etc.
 That's fine.  Nothing is set in stone at this point so if there are
changes that need to be made, so be it.

- James