abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject Simplifying Server Side Development
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:53:45 GMT
Hi All,

I think there is some agreement that server side development needs to be
made a bit easier. This last week I've been hacking on a way to make it
as easy as possible, yet still be fairly extensible. I think its a
rather naive first attempt and I don't know if I've succeeded at all, so
I was hoping to get some feedback.

The basic idea is that you write against the ContentProvider interface
and "fill in the blanks". I.e.

BlogProvider extends ContentProvider<BlogEntry> {
   public String getTitle(BlogEntry b) {
     return b.getName();
   }
}

It is FAR from done. For instance:
1. No exception handling of any kind - i.e. no way to throw a 404
2. Doesn't provide ways to map things like categories or other metdata
on the entry.
3. Resolver/Provider URL handling needs to come together somehow (per my
4. I have no idea if this is even conformant to the atompub spec, I'm
really just making this up as I go along - so it could seriously suck.
How IDs are supposed to work is particularly fuzzy. (I know I have to
read that part of the Atompub spec soon, but I wanted to get this out
here for feedback)
5. The example/test is a very naive attempt to figure out what it would
be like to expose a customer database over AtomPub.
6. Not sure I like how the classes are named
7. Apache license headers aren't in tack, figure it needs more work
anyway before committing

Code is here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ABDERA-63

Cheers,
- Dan

PS I'm gathering that the conversion stuff James recently committed may
play along with the whole idea of simplifying things a bit for server
side developers. James: any chance you can give us a run down of the
ideas behind it?

--
Dan Diephouse
MuleSource