abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Moseley" <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: New 0.3.0 candidate zips
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:25:23 GMT
On 9/8/07, Stephen Duncan <stephen.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey now, that's a problem...  0.3.0 hasn't been released, but now anybody
> using that repo might download a 0.3.0 pre-release as if it's the final
> release; and if they don't explicitly delete it from their local repository,
> and if we were to deploy new 0.3.0 jars over-the-top of the ones you
> deployed (which is normally never allowed for the real central repository),
> they wouldn't get the new jars.  Please stick to deploying either SNAPSHOTs
> to the snapshot repository, or, if trunk & the 0.3.0 branch aren't the same
> anymore, then just stick to installing into your local repository.
>
> I guess typically this would be solved by updating the version number so
> that what would have been 0.3.0 final will be something like 0.3.0-1 or
> something like that... I imagine that's an unattractive option to those
> focused on the Ant build... Any ideas on how to decide if there are any
> user's who are going to be bitten by this, and if so, how to solve it?

you're right. the ant folks can afford to be sloppier about version
numbering. the dual build process thing is such a headache. that and
my noobness with deployment...

in the future, once we make a release branch, we can use the 0.x.y-rcz
convention. in fact, i could do that now, redeploy the jars with those
names, and remove the erroneous ones. although, is it still correct
according to maven policies to put those jars into the snapshot
repository, or should they go into the release repository?