abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Extensions module: one jar or many?
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:00:55 GMT
> The extensions module is growing.  This is a good thing :-).  Currently,
> a single extensions jar is built that contains all of the extensions.
> This makes distribution and deployment easy but requires that folks ship
> code that they are potentially not using.  One possible solution is to
> generate multiple extension jars (one per extension).  I have no real
> preference either way.  What say y'all?

Alternatively we could split the difference, have a core set of
extensions that go in a main jar, then split out others.  Possible
criteria for splitting something out might be that it's new and
experimental, or that it depends on external code in a manner that's
irritating to users (i.e. if I have to pull in a gigantic third party
dependency just for having something around, I'd like it to be a
separate jar, although I suppose this is largely my C background
talking, and such things don't happen as much in Java land).

-garrett