abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject Re: Post 0.3.0
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:27:28 GMT
<head>
</head>
Brian Moseley wrote:
 cite="mid:29a761a00708271915h25436964n98a7b30bd064ca33@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On 8/27/07, James M Snell <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:jasnell@gmail.com">&lt;jasnell@gmail.com&gt;</a>
wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I haven't really dug into any detail on specific refactorings for the
server module.  I like the idea of having some way of allowing an
implementor to provide builder objects to use with a default provider
implementation; I'm just not sure how best to go about it.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
definitely the most awkward area of my implementation is how to
serialize my domain model into some format suitable as entry content,
and how to deserialize an incoming entry to apply it to the model,
especially when there are multiple possible representations for a
model object. it would be nice if abdera provided a nice utility for
this, since everybody has to do it.

  </pre>
+1<br>
 cite="mid:29a761a00708271915h25436964n98a7b30bd064ca33@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap=""></pre>
    <pre wrap="">Regarding the versioning; I'm sure the other committers have their
own
thoughts on this, but I had originally considered keeping all incubation
releases as 0.N and only doing a 1.0 release only after we graduate.
Doing so gives us an excuse to keep things fluid and not lock down the
API too prematurely and allows us to get plenty of field experience with
the code to shake out any bugs.  N.0 releases always seem so official
and rigid :-).  That said, I wouldn't have any strong objections to
putting out a 1.0 in the not too distant future.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
i wouldn't expect a 1.0 to be released until after graduating, but i'm
not sure there are any hard and fast rules.
  </pre>
Incubation doesn't really imply anything about APIs, stability or
releases (other than that they need to go through more legal scrutiny).
Its also good to keep in mind that a solid 1.0 release can help pull a
project out of incubation. In CXF we got a lot more involvement once we
got a .0 release out. While we haven't left yet, I view it as a
critical step along the way.<br>
- Dan<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Dan Diephouse