abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: server servlet decoupling
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:30:30 GMT
This was certainly one of the original intents, I just hadn't ever
managed to get around to it.

Dan Diephouse wrote:
> I was wondering what people's thoughts were on decoupling the server module
> from servlets a bit. This would allow abdera to be frontend by other things
> a bit more easily (like a MINA based HTTP server).
>
> I think it would mainly involve two parts
> 1. Adding a thin wrapper for HttpServletResponse and use that inside the
> RequestHandler instead.

We already have ResponseContext; it's likely that can be refactored for
this purpose.

> 2. Stop using Servlet Filters for things like security, and provide some
> sort of mechanism to do that inside abdera. (Not sure if this is feasible or
> not - I haven't looked into this side of things too much)

There is already the notion of a Subject Resolver. Currently the default
is to get the Subject/Principal from the servlet request.  An
alternative Subject Resolver can be provided that pulls auth details
from somewhere else.

- James