abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Moseley" <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Post 0.3.0
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:07:41 GMT

> The one concern I'd have on this one is that these kinds of marshalling
> frameworks tends to get rather complicated very quickly.  I abhor
> needlessly complicated code.  If this can be achieved in a generally
> simple and elegant way then I'm all for it.  Do you have anything in
> mind for an impl?

the basic requirements would be:

* register an object that converts between model and content
* during feed generation, convert a model object to entry+content
* during entry creation/update, convert entry+content to a model object

i have to admit that my attempt at this in cosmo, while not
particularly complex, is nowhere near elegant. i'm happy if the notion
bakes in folks' mind for a while. maybe somebody will have a
particularly bright idea, or stumble across a pattern or similar
implementation elsewhere that we can use here.

> A search/filter capability would definitely be interesting.  Again, my
> main concern would be complexity.  There also aren't a lot of standards
> to back this up.  As above, do you have anything in mind for an impl?

again, nothing directly useful to abdera at the moment. in cosmo we
specify projection and format as uri path extensions following the
portion of the path that actually identifies the resource. i don't
much like specifying filtering this way. i suppose query string
parameters are the way to go, but i find them so aesthetically
unappealing ;)

i'll continue to use cosmo as a lab and suggest particularly promising
ideas here.