abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Moseley" <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Post 0.3.0
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:15:23 GMT
> I haven't really dug into any detail on specific refactorings for the
> server module.  I like the idea of having some way of allowing an
> implementor to provide builder objects to use with a default provider
> implementation; I'm just not sure how best to go about it.

definitely the most awkward area of my implementation is how to
serialize my domain model into some format suitable as entry content,
and how to deserialize an incoming entry to apply it to the model,
especially when there are multiple possible representations for a
model object. it would be nice if abdera provided a nice utility for
this, since everybody has to do it.

i'd also like to consider extensions like: how does a client give
hints to the server about what specific data it wants included in a
feed? google's data apis have the concept of "projections" that
essentially filter the data in the feed. and there's the choosing a
representation question above. sometimes the client might even want to
tell the server "a full entry might include these ten columns from the
database table, but i only want columns A, C and F".

> Regarding the versioning; I'm sure the other committers have their own
> thoughts on this, but I had originally considered keeping all incubation
> releases as 0.N and only doing a 1.0 release only after we graduate.
> Doing so gives us an excuse to keep things fluid and not lock down the
> API too prematurely and allows us to get plenty of field experience with
> the code to shake out any bugs.  N.0 releases always seem so official
> and rigid :-).  That said, I wouldn't have any strong objections to
> putting out a 1.0 in the not too distant future.

i wouldn't expect a 1.0 to be released until after graduating, but i'm
not sure there are any hard and fast rules.