abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: some questions on apache abdera
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 06:49:57 GMT

Jim Alateras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just noobie in this area. I have basically read the spec and
> downloaded and built the source code. I am very interested in supporting
> both the Atom Syndication Format and the Application Publication
> Protocol in to my current application and have a several questions.
>
> 1. Does Apache Abdera support all aspects of the APP? Is abdera the
> reference implementation for the APP specification?

No and No. Abdera provides a complete APP client and a set of classes
that make it fairly easy to build an APP server.

There is no reference implementation for the APP spec.  Abdera is one of
several implementations available.

> 2. If i wish to integrate the server with the restlet framework [1]
> would it be best to look at '...server.servlet' package in abdera-server
> module.

For the most part yes.  The Abdera server code is designed to allow
alternative entry points.  AbderaServlet is the default but alternatives
can be implemented and used fairly easily.  All you really need to do is
provide a RequestContext implementation specific to whatever framework
you'd like.

> 3. What is the relationship between ROME and Apache Abdera? I found this
> article on the web (http://www.infoq.com/news/Abdera-Merger-ROME).

There is no formal relationship.  I had suggested a while back that the
two projects could collaborate on at least an API-level but nothing
materialized.  It could still happen.

- James