abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "J Aaron Farr" <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Feedback on an APP implementation...
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:08:55 GMT
Hello all.

So it turns out I spent most of March reinventing the Atom Publishing
Protocol.  My goal was to create a simple RESTful web service for RDF
but the design I ended up with mirrors APP almost too well.  So after
some debate, we (my 2-man startup) decided to adopt Atom.

We intended to open source the server as an independent project but
now that we've committed to Atom it may make more sense to collaborate
with Abdera or a similar project.  Below I've included a simple
description for our web service.  I've spent the last week and a half
getting up to speed with Atom and I'm certainly still unaware of some
developments.  Thus I'd appreciate any feedback, though
specifically...

  Is such a service within the scope of Abdera?  (I'm guessing yes)

  If not, anyone interested in seeing something like this @ Apache?

  Or, is anyone working on something similar?

Thanks!

--
  jaaron

The service defines extensions (more like conventions) to the Atom
Publishing Protocol to support collection creation, entry versioning,
user profiles and access control.

The service follows the URL scheme:

  http://example.org/service/{collection}/{resource}/v/{n}

Which gives us URLs such as:

  http://example.org/service/china-trip
     A collection for data about some travel itinerary

  http://example.org/service/china-trip/grand-hotel
     An entry containing information about a hotel

  http://example.org/service/china-trip/grand-hotel/v
     Prior versions of the entry are available via a feed

  http://example.org/service/china-trip/grand-hotel/v/3
    The third version of the 'grand-hotel' entry

The service defines a special collection 'root' whose entries are also
collections.  To create a new collection, the client would post to the
root collection.

User profiles are Atom entries in a 'user' collection.  Each user
account has an Atom service document which associates users with
collections.

Collections and entries are initially private.  Only to listed authors
can get or update an entry.  We're working on an atom extension that
would allow more fine grained access control.

Our goal is to create a simple, easily accessible RESTful web service
to be used as the backend for (web) applications or as the basis for a
"REST application server" similar to what Dave Thomas recently
described in his RADAR article [1] or as an open source alternative to
services like Amazon S3.

[1] http://pragdave.pragprog.com/pragdave/2007/03/the_radar_archi.html