abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Vendor extensions
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 04:45:45 GMT
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> [snip]
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have the framework for extensions and
> then allow vendors to publish their compatible extensions elsewhere?
> Maybe Abdera can have some automatic way of loading extensions. (This is
> similar to what BSF does for example.)

It already does.  Using the ExtensionFactory mechanism, jars with static
extensions need only be dropped into the classpath to be picked up by
Abdera.

> I assume what Google asked for was to support the GData client API out
> of the box for Abdera. What about the other direction? Would they be ok
> with a GData server side impl also going with Abdera?

Very good question.  I know that for the extensions we're introducing in
Lotus Connections, we are definitely OK with folks implementing their
own servers that use them.  I believe there are some google guys who
monitor this list perhaps they could weigh in on that question.

I'm working on getting the license for the LC extensions clarified and
documented.

- James