abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Constabaris <a...@clownsinmycoffee.net>
Subject Re: i18n code build system
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 05:10:13 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 3/27/07, Adam Constabaris <adam@clownsinmycoffee.net> wrote:
>> James M Snell wrote:
>> > Heh... no patch attached :-)
>> >

>> It's not been the best week ... I spent the last ten minutes setting up
>> thunderbird (so long Mail.App).
>>
>> fingers crossed!
>
> I committed this with tweaks in r531309, although I can't test the
> entire maven build because the json stuff is totally failing to build
> for me (complaining about duplicated classes or some such nonsense).
>
> -garrett
cheers!

The "duplicate classes" errors, I think, are an artifact of build
history; the ant build unpacks the json sources to:

dependencies/json/src/main/java

while maven unpacks them to:

dependencies/json/target/generated-sources/main/java

Both locations are on the build path when maven executes its "compile"
target, so you get the duplicate class errors if you've already built
json with ant. You can remove the files generated by ant, which aren't
in SVN, and it should compile with maven.

If switching back and forth between ant and maven is desirable, I don't
think it's too much work to harmonize the build processes in this
particular instance, but that sets a bad precedent.  Are there strong
objections to dropping one of the build tools?

[ OTOH, if this really is a one-off sort of problem, another option
would be to see if the json.org folks -- or designated agents thereof --
can be persuaded to put their Apache-licenced binaries jars into the
maven repositories, or switch to a json library that is in the maven
repositories (json-lib, which is Apache licensed, but about which I know
little else) ]

AC