abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <pque...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vendor extensions
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:19:33 GMT
James M Snell wrote:
> At the Atom publishing interop event this week I spoke with the folks at
> Google about Abdera.  They expressed an interest in helping to get
> additional support for GData extensions implemented and into the
> project.  I would like to do the same for the extensions that Lotus
> Connections is introducing.  These extensions rightfully do not belong
> in the core jars.  What I would like to do is create a new Vendor module
> that would contain extension code specific to individual vendor
> implementations.  The build process would produce individual jars for
> each vendor extension (e.g. abdera.vendor.google.0.3.0-incubating.jar,
> abdera.vendor.lotus.0.3.0-incubating.jar, etc).  The vendor module would
>  be completely optional for end users. We could even make it a separate
> download from the core distribution zip.
>
> Thoughts? Concerns?

I have mixed feelings about embedding vendor names in our filenames, or
 API names. (gdata vs google vs some-generic-standard-paths-name)

But, otherwise, I think it generally makes sense, as long as the vendor
is good about publishing how their extension works in a publicly
accessible document.

-Paul