abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Diephouse" <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts for version 0.3.0
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 15:57:56 GMT

> Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Agreed, this needs to get resolved.  Personally, I'm in favor of
> > reducing our total number of dependencies, so if we can implement a
> > parser that doesn't pull in Axiom I'd be all for it.  On the other
> > hand, if we do that by essentially duplicating all of Axiom, that
> > would be unfortunate.
> >

> I definitely think we'd end up duplicating a large part of Axiom.  The
> real problem I have with Axiom is that it contains a bunch of stuff we
> really don't need (the SOAP stuff).  Perhaps the better approach would
> be to work with that group to figure out a more convenient packaging so
> we don't have to ship the stuff we're not using.

What about just bundling the Axiom classes needed in the Abdera jar? XOM
does this with Jaxen to have built in XPath without an extra dependency. You
can also distribute a non bundled version in case people need that. This
would hit two birds with one stone - removing extra crap that is not needed
for Abdera and removing a classpath dependency.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions