abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Diephouse" <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Jettison for JSON support?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 05:59:07 GMT
On 12/5/06, Elias Torres <elias@torrez.us> wrote:

> Dan Diephouse wrote:
> > Hi Elias,
> >
> > Please, I think I am the naive one around here as I'm just getting my
> feet
> > wet with Atom and Abdera. :-)
> >
> > Agreed that JSON and XML are not so easily mapped to each other. The
> > xml:base/id/lang stuff slipped my mind as a potential issue. It seems
> that
> > all the xml:base handling is in the FOM* classes right? So the JSON
> support
> > always outputs the full IRIs?
>
> That's my intent at least although the code hasn't been thoroughly
> tested. I think we are calling getHref() instead of getResolvedHref().
> But anyways, that's the kinds of things we can do in a custom writer as
> opposed to one that reads it from XML. However, it's still unresolved
> how to map 80% of the most commonly used Atom elements into JSON without
> making it too complicated (e.g. doing string checks for '@' or
> maintaining $-namespaces) for the end-user.

Personally I hate the $ namespaces. Jettison does require an @ for
attributes, so that is another limitation of it. (I could allow users to
override this, which might be a nice feature, but I don't know that it makes
any difference for this case)

> > And yes, it would not be that hard for a user to use Jettison with the
> > current APIs. I was just wondering if it made sense to use it instead of
> > custom mapping. If no, thats OK, thats just one of the things I'm trying
> > figure out.
>
> I guess we could have "multiple" JSONWriters, but I'm not sure we are
> needing that just yet. I think that as we get more users, we'll be able
> to work out a good representation and stick with it. Maybe it's one of
> the automagic ones, maybe it's a custom one.

I wonder if there will ever be a standard Atom-JSON mapping... I'm starting
to see how a custom one makes sense in this case, so I'd probably say stick
with custom and people can use Jettison if they need it. Putting Jettison in
by default sounds like a square peg for a round hole.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions