abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Thoughts on the Server Side API
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:48:52 GMT
So, I'm thinking about how to integrate the Abdera server code into a
web app I've been playing with, and so far I've been hit by the
following thoughts.

It's unfortunate that we don't have a way (or, if we do have a way we
don't have an example) of how to use the server code without routing
stuff through AbderaServlet.  Lots of web app frameworks have you
route requests through a single top level servlet.  It would be nice
if we could integrate with them wihtout people having to add this
whole separate servlet bolted on the side of their app to handle the
atom publishing protocol stuff.

It seems weird that we essentially require parsing of the request URI
twice, once in the Resolver to figure out what type of target a given
request is for, and then later on in the Provider methods when you
have to figure out what any given request is actually doing.  It'd be
nice if those two could be consolidated somehow, maybe allow a regex
based resolver to make a note of what one hit and what captures
occurred, so you can use that info later on?

Also, for people who have used this stuff to build existing APP
applications, how are you doing it?  Are you using AbderaServlet to
handle all APP type traffic?  Using a custom servlet to do the same
job as part of your application?

-garrett