abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Named Writers and Parsers
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:49:15 GMT
As we start to move closer to a 0.2.0 release, I think it prudent that
we examine the various features we offer and determine if various bits
are still necessary to keep around or not.  I'd like to streamline
wherever we can.

In the core, beyond the basic parsing and serialization of Atom and APP
documents, we support a number of extra things like Named Parsers and
Named Writers.

These essentially provide a means of registering alternative parser and
writer implementations so that they can be retrieved by name rather than
by class.  e.g. writerFactory.getWriter("prettyxml").

There is a certain amount of overhead, however, in providing these
mechanisms.

The following is easier and does not require any configuration.

   Abdera abdera = new Abdera();
   Writer writer = new PrettyXmlWriter(abdera);

Therefore, I'd like to pull out the Named Writer and Named Parser stuff.

- James