abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on the Server Side API
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 03:55:15 GMT
I've never been happy with the server code and I haven't had the chance
to really give it the time and energy it needs to shore it up.

Garrett Rooney wrote:
> [snip]
> It's unfortunate that we don't have a way (or, if we do have a way we
> don't have an example) of how to use the server code without routing
> stuff through AbderaServlet.  Lots of web app frameworks have you
> route requests through a single top level servlet.  It would be nice
> if we could integrate with them wihtout people having to add this
> whole separate servlet bolted on the side of their app to handle the
> atom publishing protocol stuff.

So far the three different implementations I've created based on the
various iterations of this code have all used AbderaServlet.  I'm fine
with putting together some code that doesn't require using AbderaServlet
but APP has a number of fairly specific HTTP-level requirements that can
 be difficult to get right.  More research is definitely necessary.

> It seems weird that we essentially require parsing of the request URI
> twice, once in the Resolver to figure out what type of target a given
> request is for, and then later on in the Provider methods when you
> have to figure out what any given request is actually doing.  It'd be
> nice if those two could be consolidated somehow, maybe allow a regex
> based resolver to make a note of what one hit and what captures
> occurred, so you can use that info later on?

In my implementations I've actually created subclasses of
RegexTargetResolver and RegexTarget that allow me to parse once and
never again.  The mechanism for making this happen is less than
wonderful but it works.

> Also, for people who have used this stuff to build existing APP
> applications, how are you doing it?  Are you using AbderaServlet to
> handle all APP type traffic?  Using a custom servlet to do the same
> job as part of your application?

Trust me, it's less than ideal.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to
really devote a lot of time to this because I've been working on backend
storage stuff.  This is definitely an area that needs a lot of work.
I'd be thrilled to see more folks jump in.

- James