abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Axiom
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 03:49:51 GMT
So we've been using Axiom for a while now and I think we all agree that
there are definite pros and cons.  What I'm wondering at this point is
whether or not we commit to using it long term.

I've been going through the code a bit this week trying to get an idea
of what it would take to build an impl of the core API directly on top
of StAX while preserving the incremental parsing model and xml infoset.
 It should only take a couple of weeks to do and would likely duplicate
much of the function currently in the Axiom linked-list (llom) impl but
it would also give us some freedoms to do more interesting things with
extensions, a streaming Atom parser and writer API and a jsp taglib I've
been thinking about for building out Atom documents using JSP.

At this point, so long as we maintain the incremental parse model,
preserve the lightweight memory footprint, and can still support xml
sigs and encryption, then I'm fine with moving away from Axiom.  Like I
said, I could likely have something implemented in about two weeks.

Thoughts?

- James