abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Harris Boyce III" <harris.r.boyce....@gmail.com>
Subject Coding/Language Standards
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:25:58 GMT
I am looking to have a brief discussion about coding standards in Java
and .NET and how they are/should be applied on this project.

While studying the code for this project, and other Java porgrams as
well, I'm not sure that I understand the premises behind getters and
setters and list operation methods (AddEntry, RemoveEntry, etc.).  In
.NET, the concept of properties allows the compilers to automatically
generate getter and setter methods in-place of what appears to be
regular public fields.  What I don't necessarily understand is why
list operations are added to objects when the getters and setters
expose the list/collection types?  I don't know if this is just a
nuance of Java and that .NET developers just don't follow these
practices, but I am hoping to receive some insight as to why this
practice is followed and whether or not I should do the same in the
.NET implemenation of Abdera.

Thanks,

Harris