abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Harris Boyce III" <harris.r.boyce....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Abdera Development
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:44:14 GMT
James,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have taken a look at some of the
source so I am some-what familiar with it.  I guess there are two
things that I think I could use to help get started; first, is there a
recommended environment for working with the source?  I'm not a Java
developer so I am not really familiar with the available toolsets/IDEs
for developers with  a, um, restricted budget.

Lastly, not being a Java developer some of the libraries referenced by
Abdera are foreign to me, like Axiom/StAX, etc. so I'm finding it a
little difficult finding a good starting point for development.  My
plan is to, at least right now, start looking at the JUnit tests and
start working forward from there - but the question then becomes where
to start testing...Maybe these are all questions once I can spend some
more time looking at the source.

One thing I would like comments on (as if I haven't asked enough
questions already) is what your thoughts are on which runtime version
to target (.NET 1.1 vs 2.0).  I couldn't conclusively determine if the
Mono compilers support the new language features of C# 2.0.  I feel
.NET 2.0 would be a better target given the intrinsic support for XML
Encryption/Security and significant performance improvements to the
XML reading/parsing/etc. library and while I would like this
implementation to be Mono-compatible, this may just be a matter of
crawl-walk-run.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Harris